The City of Hamilton announced back in September that Hamilton has been chosen as one of 24 communities across Canada to host the Rogers Hometown Hockey Tour during the 2016-2017 season. With that event only a few weeks away, more details have also been announced for the event, which will also be the final stop on the tour.
The tour will arrive in Hamilton on Saturday, April 8 from 12:00 noon to 6:00 PM and Sunday, April 9th from 12:00 noon to 9:00 PM at Hamilton Waterfront, Pier 8 (47 Discovery Drive).
The free, family-friendly weekend will include interactive games and activities celebrating all things hockey, plus live entertainment, a chance to meet NHL alumni and lots of free contests and giveaways.
The weekend will culminate in an outdoor viewing party of the NHL broadcast of the Toronto Maple Leafs vs Columbus Blue Jackets on the Sunday, with Ron MacLean hosting live from the Sportsnet Mobile Studio.
“This hockey season, Canadians across the country will get to experience the game they love with the ones they love,” says City of Hamilton Mayor Fred Eisenberger. “Here in Hamilton, a proud hockey town, we couldn’t be more thrilled to share our hockey stories with the nation and to host this exciting event for the first time in our community.”
The free hockey-themed weekend will feature games, activities, live local entertainment and food trucks for the whole family, including:
- Rogers Fan Hub: Helping fans be fans, the Fan Hub features innovative and technology-driven interactive experiences, showcasing virtual and augmented reality to unite fans in their passion for the game. Plus, fans can stay warm with free hot chocolate on site.
- Rogers NHL Viewing Room: Fans can go inside the NHL Situation Room to advise on a challenged play (just like NHL officials), as well as find out what’s it’s like to be on the ice, get close to players, and more, with Virtual Reality experiences. Fans can also view the game in new ways with the different GamePlus™ camera angles exclusive to Rogers NHL GameCentre LIVE™.
- Scotiabank Community Locker Room: Features meet and greets with NHL Alumni, interactive games and highlights from recent NHL matchups, and a Scotia Hockey Club commemorative jersey giveaway for youth 16 and under.
- The Dodge Family Zone: Features the famous Stow ‘N Go Challenge hockey-themed obstacle course and the chance for a family to win $5,000 for their local minor hockey association and a 2017 Chrysler Pacifica.
- McDonald’s® Ball Hockey Rink: Features pick-up games and hockey skills competitions, as well as free McCafé® premium roast brewed coffee on site.
- OK Tire: Pushes the limits of how fast fans can get to hockey practice with the extreme OK Tire Race to the Rink RC Car track.
- Dr. Oetker Giuseppe Pizzeria: Fans can enjoy a free slice of Giuseppe Pizzeria right out of the oven, and play Giuseppe Stack-a-Puck to win a rooftop experience.
- Playmobil: Fans have the chance to face off against friends and family with the PLAYMOBIL NHL Arena and its lineup of NHL figures