Today, the Medical Officer of Health announced a number of additional public health measures to be introduced in the City of Hamilton as we remain in the “Red – Control” category in the Provincial COVID-19 Framework. These additional enhanced restrictions come as the city sees its COVID-19 numbers and outbreaks continue to rise at a concerning rate and are targeted towards helping to reduce the transmission of the virus in our community.
In Hamilton, the latest weekly rate of new cases per 100,000 population reported is 79.7. The average number of cases (7-day moving average) reported per day is 67. The percent positivity among tests is 3.2%.
The enhancements would come into effect at 12:01 a.m. on Saturday, December 5, 2020 for retail outlets and 12:01 a.m. on Monday, December 7, 2020 for shopping malls, retail businesses and workplaces. Some of the implemented measures will include:
- reducing capacity and limits at shopping malls and retail establishments
- active screening at workplaces, shopping malls and retail businesses
- posting capacity limits based on physical distancing requirements
- appointing a manager to develop, implement and actively monitor a Safety Plan in workplaces, shopping malls and retail businesses
The measures would be enforced under the Province’s Reopening Ontario Act.
In addition to the Framework and above requirements, members of the public are advised of the following:
- Trips outside of the home should only be for essential reasons (work, school, groceries/pharmacy, health care, assisting vulnerable individuals or exercise and physical activity).
- Restrict close contacts to your household members only and essential supports. Those that live alone may join with another household for support.
- Indoor organized public events and social gatherings should only be with members of the same household.
- Virtual gatherings or events are the safest way to visit or recognize occasions with people outside your household.
- Work remotely, where possible.
- Wear a mask or face covering when around others from another household, out in public places, or outdoors when unable to stay physically distant.
- Wash your hands often.
- If you have any COVID-19 symptoms or are not feeling well, stay isolated at home and get tested for COVID-19.
Locally, the Reopening Ontario Act will continue to be assertively enforced by the City’s Municipal Law Enforcement, COVID Enforcement Team. The COVID Enforcement team will be responding to complaints as well as proactively enforcing all of the applicable regulations throughout the City.
Categories in the Provincial COVID-19 Framework and changes for the city of Hamilton can be found in the Keeping Ontario Safe and Open Framework. Changes will be updated on our website at www.hamilton.ca/publicplaces.
Source: City of Hamilton