Hamilton FC Topped by London

A late London goal in added time pushed the game out of reach for the home team as Hamilton FC Rage were defeated 4-2 by FC London.

Hamilton had a lot to prove in the game, the third meeting between the two teams. London bested Hamilton team in the early part of the season and the squads played to a 1-1 draw late last week.

“Really looking forward to our game tonight,” Scott McCourbrey stated before the game. “We are taking each game like our own cup final, especially with london being our main rivals now for that 3rd spot.”

FC London broke the ice and scored in the 12th minute. Gary Ogilvie sent a cross to Chris Dillon who knocked the ball into the net. Forest City would add to their lead in the 40th minute as a kick from Thomas Owens bounced over HFC keeper Justin Silveira’s head. Jordan Ayris kicked it in the net for the London goal.

Hamilton had several solid chances in the half. Josh Bennett’s cross was headed out in the 22nd minute and a low shot by Will Grocott rolled wide right passed a diving London keeper.

The Hamilton FC offense struggled to get things flowing in the first half. London’s defenders played solid defense and managed to head away the majority of Hamilton crosses and kick ins.

Hamilton finally got on the scoreboard with an unusual goal. In the 65th minute Scott McCoubrey crossed the ball towards the net. The ball sailed over the London keeper and was kicked high into the air by a London defender. The ball dropped into the hands of the keeper who looked to lose his grip on the ball. In the ensuing melee Khody Ellis knocked the ball into the net. The London bench protested but the goal stood.

FC London regained a two goal lead in the 80th minute. Denver Spearman came up the right side and crossed to Jordan Ayris who tapped it in.

The Rage’s defense seemed to be having a rough time during the match and London gained near breakaways on multiple occasions. London forward Martin Lange broke away and booted the ball just over the crossbar early in second half.

Hamilton pulled within a goal once again in the 84th minute thanks to a goal by Mark Reilly. Reilly tapped the ball in after a cross by Khody Ellis led to another scuffle in front of the net.

HFC could not come back again and London would score a final goal in stoppage time to take the match.

With the loss Hamilton FC drop to 3-6-3 on the season and are in a three way tie for sixth place. HFC are winless in their last four games but will look to get back on track as the team continues their homestead Wednesday. The team will welcome the Chicago Fire to Ron Joyce Stadium Wednesday night at 7pm.

About Jason Nason 2045 Articles
I'm the editor of Hamilton-Today.com and I love the city of Hamilton. From sports to entertainment, local events and the politics of the city, I will try to bring it here to you!

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.