Warriors’ Comeback Falls Short in Overtime

After giving up an early lead the Stoney Creek Warriors battled back late in the third period to force overtime. A comeback wouldn’t be in the cards though as an overtime goal by Fort Erie handed Stoney Creek a 3-2 overtime loss.

After a scoreless first period the Meteors took the lead early in the second. Welland native Carson Johnstone put the puck into the net at 3:23 of the middle frame. The forward scored his first goal in his first game with assists by Riley Devine and Jesse Parker.

The Meteors would then double their lead at 4:19 of the third period with a goal from Riley Devine.

Stoney Creek would battle back in the bottom half of the period to even the score. Zach Nieminen, who had a hat-trick in Buffalo Tuesday night, put the puck into the net at 11:40 of the period. The power play goal was just what Stoney Creek needed to turn things around. Just four minutes later Hamilton native Marco Mattina scored his second goal of the season at 15:43.

A comeback wouldn’t be in the cards for Stoney Creek as Riley Devine, who scored the Meteors’ second goal, tucked in the overtime winner for Fort Erie at 1:55 of the extra period. Fort Erie took the game 3-2.

Wesley St. Amand and Jake Bain had assists in the game while Blake Luscombe assisted on both Warriors’ goals. Alexander Brooks-Potts made 35 saves in the loss.

The overtime defeat dropped Stoney Creek to 2-9-2 in the season but the Warriors pick up a point. Stoney Creek sits in seventh place in the Golden Horseshoe Conference with six points.

Next up the team will travel to Thorold on Thursday night. The Warriors will try to get back into the win column when they face the Blackhawks with the teams facing off at 7:07pm.

About Jason Nason 2082 Articles
I'm the editor of Hamilton-Today.com and I love the city of Hamilton. From sports to entertainment, local events and the politics of the city, I will try to bring it here to you!

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.